Friday 24 May 2013

a new beginning

Hello
This is the first and hopefully of many posts on my new blog. As usual I am late in the game of blogging ( does anyone still do this? more importantly does anyone still read these?)

I feel that to begin with I should discuss the title, "Delusions in Crayon". I came up with this title as a name for a comedy tour. It started with my uncle suggesting, when I was 17, to have a show titled "delusions of grandeur!" with the word illusions on a poster crossed out and placed over it was the word "delusions". I never went with it.
 Recently I was searching for a name for a comedy tour as mentioned and recalled what my uncle suggested and also recalled attending a lecture by a great performer and ventriloquist Mark Wade in the late 90's. He mentioned how we as a society in general have lost creativity because we start out with a pack of crayons and a blank piece of paper and are told to be creative. We then went to school where they took the crayons away and gave us a pencil and an eraser and we were once again told to be creative on lined paper. Thus restricting our creativity.  After that they took away the pencil and eraser to be replaced by a pen. We cannot make any more mistakes as all we do is now done in ink, thus again being told to "be creative".
 This made a lot of sense to me, as I noticed anytime anyone retured to the free flow creativity of crayons and a blank piece of paper they were the ones who  considered a crazy. Grown men and women using crayons? How absurd!
 Now almost 20 years since that first insight into how we view creativity society has been dumbed down even more. With the advent of the computer age we no longer depend on pens, but on cut and paste from  the internet. No longer are we creating new but rehashing what has already been said and done.
 Try this, think of the most unusual question or thought and do a google search for it. Look at how many results you get. Amazing how hard it is to be original, in fact I have just proved it because I have had to bring back a theory discusssed almost 20 years ago in order to be ORIGINAL!
Have fun and welcome to my blog,
Michael Picard

No comments:

Post a Comment